WelcomeThe South End Tavern was established in 1934 by Marty Burke. He envisioned creating a friendly atmosphere in which the local mill workers could eat, drink, and socialize. Finding the perfect location at the end of the trolley run, Marty purchased a building that had originally been a pharmacy and converted it into a neighborhood bar. In an effort to build up his new business, Marty began cashing payroll checks for his regular customers. Meals were often bought during the week on credit, with the knowledge that the next paycheck would cover the cost. In the 1930s, a bar was considered to be “men’s territory.” Since Marty wanted to be able to accommodate female customers, he bought the building next door and converted it into a restaurant. To separate the bar from the restaurant, he put up the now-famous Ladies Entrance sign. Marty passed away in 1956. His son, Marty (Bud), continued running the business as his father had done. Things ran much the same for many years until Women’s Lib hit the tavern in the early 1970s. Bud was ordered to remove the Ladies Entrance sign and to allow women to be served at the bar. However, the Troy City Council stepped in; they passed a resolution declaring the South End Tavern an historical site. This let him keep the controversial sign, but women were now permitted in the bar as well as in the restaurant. Business ran as usual until 1998 when Bud passed away. Now the third generation of Marty Burkes (Butch) is running the tavern. He offers many of the traditional items on the menu, along with some new additions to please a diverse clientèle. Some local history has been captured in photographs that are displayed in the bar. We welcome you to stop by and enjoy them.